Ye mere watan ke logo…….Jo shaheed huin hai unki ….Jara yaad karo qurbani….
Noida is home to many brave soldiers who have sacrificed their lives for the nation and also those who have returned victorious to narrate tales of courage and heroism. With unrelenting courage and fierce determination, these bold soldiers guard the country from the enemy’s evil designs risking their life at every step. A soldier’s death is a soldier’s death, wherever the battlefront.
The idea of constructing a Shaheed Memorial first came up for consideration in the General Body Meeting of Arun Vihar Residents Association in 1997. The suggestion was well received. It was decided to pursue it and explore the feasibility of generating the resources for its construction. The Memorial would be in honour of those who made the supreme sacrifice and whose families were residing in Noida.This has been a landmarks to remind the citizens of the supreme sacrifices made by the people to uphold the integrity of the nation and which, in turn, would draw the attention of citizens in the task of national building.
The Shaheed Smarak at Noida is a famous land mark that no visitor can miss. It is situated on Shaheed Smarak Marg sector 29 where vintage AD guns are displayed at the entry point.
The design of the Memorial is in the form of a hexagonal structure of one “Parikarma” and a cenotaph, 25 feet high, on another pedestal of the same configuration as the “Parikarma”. The triangular tower coloured cherry – red symbolizes the arrow of “Eklavya”. The needle – point on the top of the cenotaph aims skywards and indicates that the martyrs who die in the line of duty, go directly to heaven blessed by countless countrymen.
It is maintained by the Shaheed Smarak Sanstha. Funds are provided through voluntary donations and by the Noida Authority.
The memorial which has been built by the residents of NOIDA led by retired defence services personnel drawn from all the three Services, is an eloquent tribute and homage to the martyrs.
For the families of those whose names are inscribed on the memorial, it was the fulfilment of a dream cherished in their hearts for a long time. “Finally all the martyrs have been given the recognition they deserve,” said the people present at the inaugural function.
In all, there are nine martyrs listed out on the memorial.
1. Major Anurag Nauriyal…… IC-30005 was one such martyr who made the supreme sacrifice on 23rd October 1990 for the nation during operation ‘rakshak’ in Punjab, where he fell to terrorist bullets while fighting against terrorists .He was awarded the Kirti Chakra posthumously for his act of bravery. His widow Uma Nauriyal has been alloted Indian Oil Corporation retail outlet located, in Sector 52, Noida..
2. Capt DS Ahlawat was awarded Mahavir Chakra posthumously for displaying bravery in the 1971 war. Capt DS Ahlawat of 10 Dogra Regiment who displayed bravery and valiance of an exceptional order during the battle of Dera Baba Nanak in 1971
3. 2/Lt S Kumar attained glory in 1971 in the prime of his life. He hailed from 17 Armoured Regiment.
4. Sqn Ldr IH Naqvi is the only name from IAF. He attained martyrdom in 1984.
5. Lt Col AK Chabra belonging to 10 Para Commando attained martyrdom in 1989.
6. Capt S Sharma of Artillery attained martyrdom in 1995.
7. Capt Shashi Kant Sharma of J & K LI made supreme sacrifice in 1998.
8. Capt Vijyant Thapar of 2 Rajputana Rifles attained martyrdom in 1999
9. Maj Sanjay Sood, belonging to 21 Rashtriya Rifles, sacrificed his life for the country in the year 2000.
Nation’s second highest wartime gallantry award MAHA VIR CHAKRA was awarded to Captain Anuj Nair on 15th August 1999…Indian government has allotted a petrol pump ‘ Kargil Heights Filling station ‘ at Vashundhara Enclave, near Chilla sports complex .
Vijay Diwas 2010 to pay homage…